NAOqi OS is the name of the operating system that manages our robots. It was custom-made by us, and it is this system that gives the robot his basic personality and enables him to come to life as soon as you switch him on. As soon as they are activated, our robots look, listen and are already active within their environments.
In order to facilitate interaction with our robots, we have developed our own operating system as well as several advanced programming software systems.
Personalising your robot
In addition to the behaviours provided by NAOqi OS, our robots are also ready to acquire new skills and receive new instructions, both in the form of applications installed in their heads and external programmes that send them instructions.
- As a user, you can visit the SoftBank Robotics Store and choose products to personalise your robot, such as new languages and applications.
- As a developer (beginner or experienced), you can create new applications or external programmes by piloting the robot from a computer.
Programming your robot
If you can't find what you're looking for in the store, or if you'd like to offer your own creations, then why not get started in the world of robotic programming?
In the robot or from my computer?
Various parameters will guide your choice, here are two examples:
- I want to pilot several robots to perform a dance. In this case I may opt for an external programme.
- I want my programme to auto-launch in the morning, or when I ask the robot to launch it. I'll most probably opt for an application.
If you can't find what you're looking for in the store, or if you'd like to offer your own creations, then why not get started in the world of programming?
You can either choose to programme applications or control your robot from your computer. For example:
- You'd like to pilot several robots to perform a dance? An external programme is perhaps the most appropriate choice when seeking to synchronize several robots.
- You'd like your programme to auto-launch in the morning or in certain specific circumstances? You'll almost certainly want to work on an application that will be executed autonomously in the robot's head.
You can also choose the tools that meet your requirements as closely as possible:
Powerful tools available to everyone
A complete range of tools is available to explore the programming of our robots and create professional applications:
To create applications and animations … Choregraphe is the answer!
Whether you are a beginner or an expert, Choregraphe has been designed for all types of use: from taking your first steps in the world of robotics when you don't know how to write a line of code to creating professional applications.
- Creating and packaging complete applications,
- Designing animations in interactive mode, without having to pilot the robot's motors one by one,
- Designing sophisticated verbal interactions, thanks to QiChat, the human-robot dialogue design language.
If you want to go further... SDK steps in!
The API is extremely wide-ranging. It offers:
- low level methods enabling any sensor or motor unit to be piloted precisely, the perfect solution for robotics teachers,
- high level methods, giving you access to a list of top quality services: automatic detection of humans, adapting routes according to the obstacles detected, vocal synthesis with automatically adapted body movements, etc.
To pilot virtual robots…
You don't have a robot yet? Or perhaps not enough robots for all your students? You're cautious and want to test your application in a safe environment before launching it on your robot?
Here too, there are several possible solutions for simulating our robots :
- In Choregraphe, a virtual robot enables you to visualise a large part of what you are programming. But don't forget that this robot is not familiar with the laws of gravity and cannot interact with objects,
- By using software such as Webots, you can create a virtual environment for your virtual robot, in a living room cluttered with tables and chairs, for example,
- If you'd like to go even further, you can develop your own simulator using our SDK Simulator.
Join our developers community and create new types of applications for robotics.